Throughout his career as a musician, Johnny Cash filled our lives with wisdom. We learned important life lessons, such as:
- Don’t take your guns to town
- Always be a good boy, don’t ever play with guns
- Lay off the whiskey and let that cocaine be
- Depending on circumstances, naming your son Sue is acceptable
In fact, many enterprises today are following Johnny’s advice when outfitting their development teams. They are building their Platform as a Service (PaaS) one piece at a time. This, however, isn’t the only option. You can help your development teams work faster and more safely today using Pivotal Cloud Foundry (PCF) on top of Microsoft Azure.
This article assumes you have already completed the steps in the Prerequisites.
Once completing the prerequisites, you should have the following:
- Microsoft Azure, Pay-As-You-Go Subscription with quotas increased
- Pivotal Network API token
- azure-credentials.json file with your Service Principal information
- Public and private key to access your PCF install
Login to your Azure account
Use your existing account on Microsoft Azure.
Search the marketplace for Pivotal Cloud Foundry and install
Click on New and enter Pivotal Cloud Foundry in the Search the marketplace textbox.
Hit Enter, or click on Pivotal Cloud Foundry on Microsoft Azure in the dropdown box. In the next panel (search results), click on Pivotal Cloud Foundry on Azure
Review the description and press Create
In the next panel, enter the information that we took care of in the prerequisites.
- Storage Account Name Prefix - Enter anything that will help you differentiate your PCF storage accounts from your other accounts. I entered pcfonazure
- SSH public key - copy the text from your public key file (the one with the extension .pub) into this textbox
- Service Principal - Click in the box which will open up a file finder. Select the azure-credentials.json file you created in prerequisites.
- Pivotal Network Token - Paste your API Token from your account at network.pivotal.io.
- Subscription - Ensure your subscription is selected
- Resource group - Either choose an existing, or Create New. I like to create a new resource group so I can tear the whole thing down by deleting my resource group. I chose PCF-on-Azure
- Location - Choose your location where you increased your quota
On the next panel, wait for the validation to pass and then click on OK.
On the next panel, read through the content, and if you agree, click on the Purchase buttons
Once you accept, you should be taken back to the Dashboard and you will see a Deploying Pivotal Cloud Foundry on Microsoft… tile. Feel free to click on the tile to watch the progress.
After about 5 - 10 minutes you will receive notification that the deploy is complete. However, only the bosh director has been deployed. The bosh director will work in the background to deploy the components of PCF.
At the end of this step, your PCF install will look something like this:
Check on progress
Once you receive notification that the deploy is complete, you will need to check on progress of the underlying PCF install. To do this, we need to grab the url to the Progress Monitor URL.
Go back to your Azure Dashboard and click on Resource Group.
Click on your Resource Group. If you followed the naming conventions I user, it will be PCF-on-Azure.
Select Deployments in the next panel.
Select the pivotal.pivotal-cloud-foundryazure-…. deployment in the next panel.
In the next panel, under the Outputs section, you will see a text box labeled PROGRESSMONITORURL. Either copy the contents of the text box, or click the button to the right of the text box to copy the contents to the clipboard.
Paste that url into a new browser window and you will see a browser tmux session that shows you the contents of the pcf_install.log located on the jumpbox. It will continue to update as the install progresses. You should see something like this:
Keep checking back. When you see the Apps Manager Url and Admin password (after a couple of hours), the install is complete. Your screen should look like this, and you are finished:
Go ahead and put the url into a browser. Use admin as the user name and the above password to log in.